Dr Indika Alahakoon provides a comprehensive range of obstetrics services to care for you during pregnancy and childbirth. As a mother of 4 children, Indika understands that this is a very special time in your life and she is here to work with you to ensure your pregnancy is a happy and safe experience.
A program of antenatal care, delivery and postnatal care by Dr Alahakoon is available at our specialist rooms, and our experienced midwives Margaret Hudson and Lynne Pearson are also on hand to consult during the antenatal visits, regarding all aspects of your pregnancy care.
Our prenatal diagnostic services include procedures such as chorionic villous sampling for chromosomal testing and amniocentesis. Dr Indika is a practicing specialist in Maternal Fetal Medicine; therefore, she has extensive experience in fetal therapeutic procedures such as fetal blood transfusions and is happy to provide all facets of pregnancy management, or provide second opinion consultations regarding pregnancy complications.
Pregnancy Ultrasound Services – Centre for Women’s Ultrasound
The ultrasound service is provided at the Centre for Women’s Ultrasound by Dr Alahakoon, who is an expert in the field of diagnostic ultrasound, and her team of specialised sonographers who are among the best in NSW for obstetric and gynaecological scanning. We provide dating scans and all required diagnostic services such as nuchal translucency scans, 18-20 week morphology scans and fetal growth scans.
Your ultrasound results will be reviewed and reported by Dr Alahakoon, and her reports will provide interpretation of results for your referring doctors.
For more information on the pregnancy scans Dr Indika can provide, please visit the Centre for Women’s Ultrasound website by clicking here.
While Dr Indika Alahakoon is a Maternal Fetal Medicine Specialist with a high degree of expertise and hands-on experience in managing high-risk pregnancies, she is also very happy to provide her services for average-risk pregnancies too. Her complete range of obstetrics services include:
- Pre-pregnancy counselling/consultation
- Normal pregnancy and childbirth
- Vaginal birth after caesarean section (VBAC)
- IVF pregnancies
- Twin/Multiple pregnancy
- Medical disorders in pregnancy – Hypertension, diabetes, thyroid disease, autoimmune conditions, thrombophilia’s etc.
- Pregnancy related maternal conditions- Pre-eclampsia, gestational diabetes etc.
- Recurrent miscarriage and pregnancy loss
- Preterm labour and delivery
- Previous adverse pregnancy outcomes
- Intrauterine growth restriction
- Fetal anomalies and disorders
- Second opinion consultations
Dr Alahakoon’s areas of expertise include:
- Common Maternal Conditions – Maternal hypertension, Pre-eclampsia, Gestational diabetes, Hyper/Hypothyroidism.
- Rare Maternal Conditions –Pre-existing insulin dependent diabetes, maternal cardiac disease, maternal thrombophilia and clotting disorders, RH isoimmunisation and red cell antibodies in the mother, rare maternal medical complications.
- Pregnancy-Related Conditions – Recurrent miscarriage, recurrent pregnancy loss, Preterm rupture of membranes, Preterm labour, History of severe fetal growth restriction, History of early pre-eclampsia.
- Fetal Conditions – Fetal growth restriction, Diagnosis, management and delivery of a fetus with a structural abnormality, Twin pregnancy, Twin-twin transfusion syndrome.
Dr Indika and her staff will do their utmost to ensure a safe and enjoyable pregnancy for you.
Assistance or Concerns
Please don’t hesitate to contact our secretarial staff, Tammy or Vanessa, if you have any concerns. On weekdays, call our Norwest Private Hospital rooms on (02) 9836 3558, or Westmead rooms on (02) 9687 5555. For a non-urgent enquiry, you can also send us an email via firstname.lastname@example.org.
For urgent matters and obstetric emergencies, please contact the Maternity Unit of the hospital where you plan to have your baby. The Maternity Unit staff will advise you, and contact Dr Alahakoon regarding your concerns.